|XXIII Olympic Winter Video games|
|Venue: Pyeongchang, South Korea Date: 9-25 February|
|Protection: Watch reside on BBC TV, Pink Button, Related TVs, BBC Sport web site and cell app.|
Here is our day-by-day information to what are anticipated to be the highlights of Pyeongchang 2018 for each Crew GB and different main nations.
All instances are scheduled begin instances, in GMT.
Wednesday, 14 February – day 5
Medal occasions: Six
- 01:15-02:50 & 04:45-06:25: Alpine snowboarding – ladies’s slalom
- 01:30-03:10: Snowboarding – males’s halfpipe finals
- 06:00-06:55 & 08:45-09:45: Nordic mixed – males’s particular person regular hill and males’s particular person 10km
- 10:00: Velocity skating – ladies’s 1,000m ultimate
- 11:05-13:00: Biathlon – ladies’s 15km particular person
- 11:20-13:25: Luge – doubles heats one and two
- 00:05-03:00 & 11:05-14:00: GB males’s curling staff – Kyle Smith (skip), Kyle Waddle, Cammy Smith and Thomas Muirhead (plus alternate Glen Muirhead) start in opposition to Switzerland earlier than taking up reigning Olympic champions Canada.
- 05:05-08:00: The British ladies’s curling staff – Eve Muirhead (skip), Anna Sloan, Vicki Adams and Lauren Grey (plus alternate Kelly Schafter) open in opposition to ‘Olympic athletes from Russia’.
- 01:15-02:50 & 04:45-06:25: Alex Tilley and Charlie Visitor will compete within the ladies’s slalom competitors.
- 11:05-13:00: GB biathlete Amanda Lightfoot races within the ladies’s 15km particular person occasion.
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
Day 5 might be an enormous one for the USA staff with snowboarder Shaun White and skier Mikaela Shiffrin each hoping to safe Olympic titles. Snowboarding sensation Shiffrin was because of compete on day three however the ladies’s large slalom was postponed so day 5 would be the first time we see her in motion.
01:30-03:10: White is the arguably the highest-profile athlete in winter sport – claiming halfpipe gold on the Turin 2006 and Vancouver 2010 Video games, earlier than coming fourth at Sochi 2014.
Some doubted whether or not he would proceed and accidents have hampered his preparations, however scoring an ideal 100 on the US staff choice meet suggests he might but return to the highest of the rostrum.
Pulling out of the distinguished X Video games – an occasion he has received eight instances – simply weeks earlier than the Olympics with a purpose to relaxation, exhibits simply how decided the 31-year-old is to reclaim his throne.
01:15-02:50 & 04:45-06:25: Shiffrin is world champion within the ladies’s slalom and has appeared unstoppable at instances this season – profitable six World Cup races in a row, however faltered final day out in Switzerland, which can give her rivals hope.
00:05-03:00 & 11:05-14:00: British curiosity begins in an enormous manner, with the Crew GB males – Olympic silver medallists in 2014 – taking up world bronze medallists Switzerland and reigning Olympic champions Canada of their opening two fixtures.
The GB line-up is totally modified from 4 years in the past with Kyle Smith now skipping the staff, which incorporates two brothers of ladies’s skip Eve Muirhead – Thomas, and Glen, who’s an alternate.
Their kind – beneath two totally different skips – had been so poor since Sochi that 12 months in the past they might have been written off as medal hopes, however boosted by European silver in November they might be contenders once more.
05:05-08:00: The GB ladies, who start their marketing campaign in opposition to ‘Olympic athletes from Russia’, will likely be hoping to higher their outcome from 4 years in the past with Muirhead, who’s main the staff for a second Video games in a row – insisting they’ve “had sufficient of ending third”.
They received final 12 months’s European Championships and will likely be among the many favourites for the highest honour in Pyeongchang.
Do you know?
When the Muirhead brothers aren’t sliding on ice, they spend their time shearing sheep in Perthshire, Scotland.
00:10-14:30: For the primary time because the 1994 Video games, the lads’s ice hockey won’t function gamers from the NHL – ruling out the world’s greatest abilities.
Defending champions Canada and the USA are unsurprisingly the worst hit, however even the ‘Olympic athletes from Russia’ line-up will likely be lacking famous person Alex Ovechkin.
That stated, their home league is the second strongest on this planet and regardless of the sanctions on the nation following the state-sponsored doping scandal they might be among the many favourites for gold.
They open the lads’s event in opposition to Slovakia (time tbc), earlier than the USA face Slovenia.
06:00-06:55 & 08:45-09:45: Day 5 will even see the primary medals awarded within the male-only nordic mixed occasion which sees opponents full in ski leaping and cross nation disciplines.
Germany’s Johannes Rydzek took all 4 gold medals – a primary within the sport – ultimately 12 months’s World Championships, whereas compatriot Eric Frenzel is the defending champion on this occasion.
Thursday, 15 February – day six
Medal occasions: Eight
- 00:30-02:15 & 04:15-06:05: Alpine snowboarding – ladies’s large slalom
- 01:30-04:55: Determine skating – pairs free skating
- 02:00-04:05: Alpine snowboarding – males’s downhill
- 04:30-06:00: Snowboarding – males’s snowboard cross finals
- 06:30-08:15: Cross nation snowboarding – ladies’s 10km free
- 11:00-13:00: Biathlon – males’s 20km particular person
- 11:00-13:10: Velocity skating – males’s 10,000m ultimate
- 12:30-13:45: Luge – staff relay
- 00:05-03:00 & 11:05-14:00: Britain’s ladies’s curlers face the USA and China.
- 00:30-02:15 & 04:15-06:05: Skier Alex Tilley goes within the ladies’s large slalom
- 01:00-03:25: The lads’s skeleton begins with Britain’s Dom Parsons lining up for his second Video games and Jerry Rice making his Olympic debut.
- 05:05-08:00: The lads’s curling staff tackle Japan.
- 06:30-08:15: Cross nation skier Annika Taylor will compete in her third and ultimate occasion of the Video games.
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
00:30-01:50 & 04:15-05:50: After its postponement on day three because of excessive winds, the ladies’s large slalom skiers will return to the slope on day six. American star Mikaela Shiffrin is the clear favorite. She received large slalom gold at Sochi 2014, making her the youngest Olympic champion within the occasion, and, within the years since, she has developed right into a severe multi-event medal prospect.
02:00-04:05: The lads’s downhill will even happen on day six after it was postponed from Sunday. Though there isn’t a British curiosity, the standard ‘blue riband’ occasion of the Video games all the time proves an interesting watch.
Matthias Mayer of Austria is the defending champion, however Switzerland’s Beat Feuz took the newest world title and Norwegian veteran Aksel Lund Svindal is trying to finish his Olympic profession again on the rostrum.
04:30-06:00: It’s among the many most unpredictable sports activities on the Winter Olympics, with medals received and misplaced in lower than a heartbeat – simply as American Lindsey Jacobellis found in 2014. Extra on her later.
It is that jeopardy and all-out head-to-head fight which makes it one of the vital fascinating occasions to look at and Pierre Vaultier is a Frenchman who enjoys risking all of it – profitable Olympic gold in Sochi, simply two months after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).
He claimed the newest World Championship title and leads this season’s World Cup standings, however Australia’s Alex Pullin and Austrian Alessandro Hammerle are different robust contenders.
01:00-03:25: Away from the British athletes and the medal-contending Latvian Dukurs brothers, somewhat additional down the sphere will likely be two sliders making historical past for his or her respective nations.
Former sprinter Akwasi Frimpong is the primary Ghanaian to qualify for the lads’s skeleton occasion, whereas Anthony Watson – who off the ice describes himself as an actor, musician and mannequin – has achieved the identical landmark for Jamaica, having as soon as tried out for the USA bobsleigh staff.
01:30-04:55: China’s solely earlier gold within the occasion got here within the pairs at Vancouver 2010 and eight years on world champions Sui Wenjing and Han Cong will likely be making an attempt to repeat their compatriots’ feat.
06:30-08:15: Norway’s 10-time Olympic medallist – and world champion within the ladies’s 10km free occasion – Marit Bjorgen will likely be looking for additional honours in her fifth Video games.
Friday, 16 February – day seven
Medal occasions: Six
- 00:30-03:10: Skeleton – males’s ultimate
- 02:00-04:10: Alpine snowboarding – males’s super-G
- 03:15-04:15: Snowboarding – ladies’s snowboard cross finals
- 06:00-07:50: Cross nation snowboarding – males’s 15km free
- 11:00-12:20: Freestyle snowboarding – ladies’s aerials
- 11:00-12:30: Velocity skating – ladies’s 5,000m ultimate
- 11:20-13:10: Lizzy Yarnold begins her bid to retain her Olympic crown, whereas team-mate Laura Deas makes her Olympic skeleton debut.
- 06:00-07:50: British cross nation skiers Andrew Musgrave, Andrew Younger and Callum Smith all compete within the males’s 15km free occasion.
- 00:30-03:10: Dom Parsons and Jerry Rice in males’s skeleton ultimate runs.
- 11:05-14:00: Britain’s male curlers face European champions Sweden.
- 03:15-04:15: Crew GB’s most skilled Olympian on the 2018 Video games – snowboarder Zoe Gillings-Brier – will bid for a primary Olympic medal on the fourth try.
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
11:20-13:10: Sochi 2014 gold medallist Lizzy Yarnold begins her bid to change into the primary British athlete to efficiently defend a Winter Olympic title. Germany’s Jacqueline Lolling received 4 of the seven World Cup occasions this season with team-mate Tina Hermann additionally impressively constant.
Do you know?
Nigeria’s Simidele Adeagbo would be the first African lady to compete in an Olympic skeleton occasion when she slides in Pyeongchang.
00:30-03:10: Within the males’s occasion, Latvian legend Martins Dukurs, a silver medallist at Sochi 2014, is prone to be a number one contender once more and would like to share the rostrum with brother Tomass, who will not be fairly as constant, however can’t be completely dominated out.
He was fourth on the final Olympics and the pair are anticipated to be retrospectively upgraded to respective gold and bronze medals following the disqualification of Russian Aleksandr Tretyakov.
Residence followers will hope that spectacular slider Yun Sung-bin can change into their first Winter Olympic champion in a sport away from the ice rink.
02:00-04:10: Norway are probably the most dominant nation in tremendous G, profitable 5 of the eight Winter Olympic gold medals within the occasion up to now, with reigning champion and ardent Liverpool fan Kjetil Jansrud one of many greatest names to look out for.
Cross nation snowboarding:
06:00-07:50: One other Briton chasing historical past is Andrew Musgrave within the males’s 15km occasion.
The nation has by no means received an Olympic medal within the self-discipline, however with Musgrave having claimed his maiden World Cup medal with bronze in December it’s hoped Crew GB will at the very least higher their present highest end of 29th.
The British males will likely be trying to avenge their loss in final 12 months’s European Championship ultimate after they tackle Sweden of their fourth fixture.
03:15-04:15: Will Pyeongchang 2018 be the Video games when the game’s best athlete to not win Olympic gold lastly claims the one crown to elude her?
Lindsey Jacobellis threw away a sure gold by showboating and ending second at Turin 2006 and regardless of 4 subsequent world titles and 10 X Video games gold medals, has failed to succeed in the rostrum on the previous two Olympics.
Britain’s Zoe Gillings-Brier is one other hoping for a finest ever end in what will likely be her fourth Video games, however first as a mom.
The 32-year-old Isle of Man snowboarder gave delivery to daughter Lea in 2016 and says she is “extra motivated and assured” about success than ever, given the advantages an Olympic medal would additionally carry to her daughter’s life.
Saturday, 17 February – day eight
Medal occasions: 9
- 01:00-05:25: Determine skating – males’s single free skating
- 02:00-03:55: Alpine snowboarding – ladies’s super-G
- 04:00-05:35: Freestyle snowboarding – ladies’s ski slopestyle finals
- 09:30-10:45: Cross nation snowboarding – ladies’s 4x5km relay
- 10:00-12:11: Brief-track velocity skating – Ladies’s 1500m ultimate
- 10:00-12:55: Brief-track velocity skating – males’s 1,000m ultimate
- 11:15-12:10: Biathlon – ladies’s 12.5km mass begin
- 11:20-13:40: Skeleton – ladies’s ultimate heats
- 12:30-14:15: Ski leaping – males’s massive hill particular person ultimate
- 11:20-13:40: Lizzy Yarnold bids to retain her Olympic crown, whereas team-mate Laura Deas additionally hopes to be in competition for a medal.
- 04:00-05:35: Freestyle skiers Izzy Atkin and Katie Summerhayes bid for honours within the ladies’s slopestyle occasion.
- 10:00-12:11: Elise Christie bids for doubtlessly a second medal of the Video games within the 1500m competitors and will likely be joined by fellow Britons Charlotte Gilmartin and Kathryn Thomson.
- 10:00-12:55: Velocity skating team-mates Farrell Treacy and Joshua Cheetham will hope to proceed their participation within the males’s 1,000m.
- 00:05-1400: Curling continues – GB ladies face Denmark (00:05-03:00) and South Korea (11:05-14:00).
- 05:05-08:00: GB males’s curling staff face South Korea.
- 11:15-12:10: Biathlete Amanda Lightfoot returns for the ladies’s 12.5km mass begin.
- 11:00-12:15: GB’s first aerials skier since 1998 – Lloyd Wallace – competes within the qualification spherical.
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
This has the potential to be the Crew GB’s winter model of ‘Tremendous Saturday’.
OK, it isn’t going to reside as much as these breathtaking six golds at London 2012, however given one of the best GB medal haul on a single day at Winter Video games is 2 – achieved on three February 1924 – there may be the potential for historical past to be made.
11:20-13:40: Lizzy Yarnold will not be the dominant drive she was 4 years in the past – battling a again downside and a debilitating vestibular situation resulting in excessive movement illness – nonetheless, she is a big-time performer.
Regardless of taking a 12 months out of the game to fight exhaustion she fought again to assert World Championship bronze final season and completed fourth at each the Olympic check occasion and season-ending World Cup in January.
The ladies’s subject is stacked with expertise and whereas German duo Jacqueline Lolling and Tina Hermann are the favourites, Yarnold, former equestrian rider turned GB skeleton athlete Laura Deas and Canada’s Elisabeth Vathje are amongst a bunch of sliders who might problem for honours.
04:00-05:35: Former US skier Izzy Atkin has made unbelievable progress as a part of the British staff over the previous 12 months.
From being a just about unknown skier exterior of the freestyle neighborhood, World Championship, World Cup and X Video games honours have made her certainly one of Crew GB’s main medal contenders.
Crew-mate Katie Summerhayes was seventh in Sochi 4 years in the past, has received main medals since these Video games and is an outdoor contender.
10:00-12:55: The 1500m will likely be Elise Christie’s second medal likelihood on the Video games.
Though she is the world champion over the gap, it’s an occasion she has struggled with this season whereas nursing accidents and South Korea’s Choi Min-jeong and Shim Suk-hee have dominated.
Nonetheless, the 27-year-old has a plan and can hope her team-mates Charlotte Gilmartin and Kathryn Thomson can supply her some safety within the early rounds.
11:00-12:15: Accidents – even extraordinarily severe ones – are removed from unusual in winter sports activities and in August Lloyd Wallace’s Olympic dream appeared over after he was positioned in an induced coma following a “extreme” head harm sustained in coaching.
Wallace – who remembers nothing of the accident – has recovered to make the Crew GB line-up in one of the vital charming sports activities, the place athletes are propelled to round 20 metres within the air.
He’ll hope to make the ultimate in his Olympic debut, however among the many main medal contenders is predicted to be Belarusian defending champion and world gold medallist Anton Kushnir.
Do you know?
Crew GB athlete Lloyd Wallace is the fifth Olympian in his household. His dad and mom had been each aerials skiers – Jilly Curry on the 1992 and 1994 Video games, Robin Wallace on the 1988 Olympics – whereas uncle Shaun Wallace was a bicycle owner in 1984 and 1996. Wallace’s maternal grandfather Peter Curry additionally competed within the three,000m steeplechase on the 1948 London Video games.
12:10-14:30: As if there was not already sufficient to be enthusiastic about on the center Saturday of the Video games, the Olympic schedulers have thrown in one other tasty deal with – a USA v Russia showdown.
It’s 38 years because the ‘Miracle on Ice’ when the USA upset the percentages to defeat the Soviet Union – their Chilly Struggle rivals – en path to claiming gold on the 1980 Moscow Video games.
The USA had been once more triumphant over the host nation at Sochi 2014, however neither would go on to assert a medal – one thing each nations are determined to keep away from at Pyeongchang.
01:00-05:25: Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu bids to defend his title however the Japanese world champion has struggled with harm this season. Compatriot Shoma Uno, China’s Jin Boyang and American sensation Nathan Chen will likely be bidding to oust him.
Do you know?
Britain has received a skeleton medal at each Video games because the sport was launched to the Olympic programme in 2002.
Sunday, 18 February – day 9
Medal occasions: Six
- 01:15-03:10 & 04:45-06:45: Alpine snowboarding – males’s large slalom
- 04:15-05:50: Freestyle snowboarding – males’s ski slopestyle finals
- 06:15-08:10: Cross nation snowboarding – males’s 4x10km relay
- 11:00-12:20: Freestyle snowboarding – males’s aerials finals
- 11:00-12:55: Velocity skating – ladies’s 500m ultimate
- 11:15-12:15: Biathlon – males’s 15km mass begin
- Males’s ski slopestyle – X Video games and World Cup winner James Woods seems for a primary Olympic honour, whereas Youth Olympian Tyler Harding makes his senior Video games debut. Heats 01:15-04:15; Ultimate: 04:15-05:50.
- 11:05: Males’s two-man bobsleigh competitors will get beneath manner with Brad Corridor piloting in a bid to spice up his expertise on the monitor earlier than a bid for a medal within the four-man competitors.
- 05:05-08:00: GB ladies’s curlers face Sweden.
- 11:05-14:00: GB males’s curling staff tackle Italy.
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
Heats: 01:15-04:15; ultimate: 04:15-05:50
Again at Sochi 2014, James Woods was seen as a number one British medal contender however a severe hip harm on the controversial slopestyle course simply earlier than the competitors started hampered his preparations and he completed fifth.
Contemplating the extent of ache he needed to endure to finish his runs, it was a extremely creditable outcome. Nonetheless, Woods needs to be remembered as a winner and has claimed X Video games and world medals because the final Olympics.
A damaged collarbone late final 12 months has not aided his build-up however ending fourth within the X Video games slopestyle occasion in late January exhibits he’s closing in on career-best kind.
The occasion is stacked with expertise, although, and Swiss Andri Ragettli, Norwegian duo Oystein Braaten and Ferdinand Dahl and People Gus Kenworthy and McRae Williams are all severe contenders.
Austrian Marcel Hirscher has received the whole lot the game has to supply – aside from Olympic gold.
He has six world titles, and an astonishing 55 World Cup wins to his title and, at 28, is getting into what ought to be the height years of his profession.
Robust in each the slalom and large slalom – and greater than helpful within the alpine mixed (beforehand tremendous mixed) occasion, his battles with defending champion Ted Ligety of the USA might be one thing quite particular.
The beginning of the lads’s two-man competitors is prone to see a second of reflection by athletes as they pay tribute to 2010 USA Olympic gold medal-winning bobsleigh pilot Steven Holcomb, who died in Could.
It’s the first Olympics since Salt Lake Metropolis in 2002 at which the USA staff won’t function the five-time world champion. Following the Russian doping scandal, Holcomb is in line to have the 2 bronze medals claimed at Sochi 2014 posthumously upgraded to silver.
The ‘blink and you may miss it’ ladies’s 500m sprint is prone to see a uncommon break in Dutch domination of the long-track ice rink occasions.
The battle between world gold medallist Nao Kodaira of Japan and South Korea’s two-time Olympic gold medal medallist skater Lee Sang-hwa might be an interesting watch.
Since a finest particular person end of eighth within the 15km mass begin occasion at Sochi 2014, Norwegian Johannes Bo has gone on to change into a significant drive within the sport, profitable 9 world medals prior to now three years.
He’s ranked second within the World Cup standings for the occasion whereas elder brother Tarjei Bo – a relay gold medallist at Vancouver 2010 – is sixth.
Frenchman Martin Fourcade tops the rankings and is searching for a 3rd Olympic gold in Pyeongchang following two titles at Sochi 2014.
Monday, 19 February – day 10
Medal occasions: Three
- 11:53: Velocity skating – males’s 500m ultimate
- 11:15-14:00: Bobsleigh – males’s two-man ultimate heats
- 12:30-14:15: Ski leaping – males’s staff ultimate
- 11:15-14:00: Brad Corridor pilots the only GB males’s bobsleigh within the two-man occasion.
- 05:05-08:00: GB males’s curling staff face Denmark.
- 11:05-14:00: GB ladies’s curling staff face Switzerland.
- 01:00: Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland compete within the ice dance brief dance.
- 00:30-03:20: Ladies’s large air – Aimee Fuller is in motion.
- 01:00: GB freestyle skiers Rowan Cheshire and Molly Summerhayes (sister of GB slopestyle skier Katie) will compete within the halfpipe qualifiers.
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
There could solely be three medal occasions on day 10, however it’s prone to be one of many busiest for Nice Britain, with athletes competing in six occasions.
00:30-03:20: All eyes will likely be again on the Alpensia Ski Leaping Centre for the qualification rounds of the ladies’s large air occasion, which options GB’s Aimee Fuller.
Large air, which sees snowboarders shoot off a 49-metre ramp (kicker) and carry out methods to attain factors, is the brand new freestyle addition for Pyeongchang.
Fuller, who competed in slopestyle at Sochi 2014, has narrowly missed out on podium finishes in Large Air twice in latest seasons and will likely be at the very least hoping to succeed in the ultimate on day 14.
Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland are certainly one of sport’s unluckiest duos with Buckland requiring coronary heart surgical procedure earlier than the Sochi Video games and Coomes shattering her kneecap in 2016.
A private finest rating late final 12 months proved a well timed confidence enhance and the pair will start the two-stage occasion with the ‘free ice dance’ self-discipline.
Do you know?
Nice Britain have been extra profitable at determine skating than every other Winter Olympic sport, profitable a complete of 15 medals, which is 9 greater than their second finest self-discipline, skeleton.
Britain’s kind on this season’s World Cup suggests they are going to be nowhere close to the medals on this occasion, which is predominantly getting used to provide younger pilot Bradley Corridor extra time to be taught the monitor earlier than the four-man races.
Canadian pilots Justin Kripps and Chris Spring are among the many favourites, however as ever with sliding sports activities, the Germans will likely be robust and in Francesco Friedrich and Nico Walther they posses latest World Cup winners.
Nonetheless, don’t rule out younger Latvian pilot Oskars Kibermanis, who many really feel is an Olympic champion within the making.
4 years in the past Rowan Cheshire suffered a severe concussion on a halfpipe coaching run in Sochi and was dominated out of the Video games.
The 22-year-old endured subsequent blows to the pinnacle in additional crashes later that 12 months and struggled with panic assaults earlier than easing again into competitors over the previous 18 months.
Having reached final 12 months’s world ultimate, Cheshire will likely be trying to at the very least repeat that on the Olympics. A World Cup medallist, if she will be able to land her finest methods she might problem for a medal.
Austria, Finland, Germany and Switzerland are the standard large 4 ski leaping nations, however Poland are quickly changing into a significant drive.
Kamil Stoch has continued to impress since his Sochi Olympic double and joined his team-mates in securing world staff gold final 12 months.
Norway additionally comprise earlier medal winners and this might be an interesting battle between an array of gifted jumpers.
Tuesday, 20 February – day 11
Medal occasions: 5
- 01:00-04:45: Determine skating – ice dance free dance
- 01:30-02:55: Freestyle snowboarding – ladies’s ski halfpipe finals
- 11:33: Brief-track velocity skating – ladies’s three,000m relay ultimate
- 11:15-12:45: Biathlon – 2x6km ladies’s and 2×7.5km males’s combined relay
- Nordic mixed – males’s particular person massive hill (10:00-10:55) and males’s particular person 10km (12:45-13:45)
- 01:30-02:55: British skier Rowan Cheshire hopes to problem for honours within the halfpipe ultimate and team-mate Molly Summerhayes might return for GB.
- 01:00-04:45: Determine skaters Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland will full their competitors programme with the free ice dance self-discipline.
- 11:50-13:45: Ladies’s bobsleigh begins, that includes GB’s Mica McNeill and Mica Moore.
- 00:05-03:00: GB males’s curling staff face Norway.
- 05:05-08:00: GB ladies’s curling staff tackle Japan.
- 04:00-05:45: Murray Buchan, Peter Speight, Alexander Glavatsky-Yeadon participate within the males’s ski halfpipe .
- 10:00-12:00: Brief-track velocity skater Elise Christie is again to start her ultimate occasion – the ladies’s 1,000m – and will likely be joined in qualification by Charlotte Gilmartin and Kathryn Thomson.
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
Keep in mind how day 10 was one of many busiest for Crew GB? Properly day 11 is THE busiest with doubtlessly 20 British athletes concerned throughout seven occasions.
01:00-04:45: Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland would be the first Britons in motion as they give the impression of being to safe a best-ever Olympic outcome.
The previous European bronze medallists, who’re educated by 1980 Olympic champion Robin Cousins in Dallas, USA, completed 20th at Vancouver 2010 and 10th at Sochi 2014.
In medal competition ought to be Canadians Tessa Advantage and Scott Moir who had retired after selecting up silver in Sochi, however modified their minds within the hope of reclaiming the Olympic title they received in Vancouver.
Do you know?
Previous to Sochi 2014, Nick Buckland was enduring episodes the place his coronary heart price would soar to harmful ranges of 270-280 beats per minute. He had coronary heart surgical procedure simply three months earlier than Sochi 2014 with a purpose to be fitted with a “reveal gadget” which displays his coronary heart price and prevents it changing into dangerously quick.
Brief-track velocity skating:
10:00-12:00: The success of an Olympics can typically be primarily based across the efficiency of the host nation, as a result of nothing boosts the environment and pleasure for an occasion like house grown medal-winners.
And short-track velocity skating is the winter sport by which South Korea excels, with 21 of their 26 golds having come within the competitors.
Their ladies’s staff produced a surprising show to assert the three,000m crown in Sochi and a repeat of that in Pyeongchang would offer the Video games with an enormous enhance on the penultimate night time of short-track velocity skating.
11:50-13:45: By way of efficiency, Mica McNeill and Mica Moore eased by way of qualification for the Winter Olympics, however life off the ice within the months main into the Video games was significantly tougher.
A weird overspend by the nationwide governing physique noticed bosses controversially resolve to axe all funding help for the ladies’s programme lower than six months earlier than the Video games.
A crowdfunding marketing campaign raised greater than £41,00zero for the pair, which ensured they had been in a position to compete on the World Cup circuit and make sure their Olympic place.
The Micas proudly put on ‘powered by the folks’ on the facet of their sled and will likely be hoping to construct on their spectacular World Cup fifth place in November.
Whereas Britain’s Rowan Cheshire is an outdoor medal prospect, American Maddie Bowman is concentrated on nothing aside from Olympic gold.
She claimed the title in Sochi and has received 5 out of six X Video games superpipe titles since 2013, however fellow USA skier Brita Sigourney has appeared the extra constant on the World Cup circuit of late.
Wednesday, 21 February – day 12
Medal occasions: Eight (seven gold)
- 02:00-03:50: Alpine snowboarding – ladies’s downhill
- 04:15-05:55: Freestyle snowboarding – males’s ski cross finals
- 07:40-10:00: Ice hockey – ladies’s bronze medal ultimate
- 08:00-09:30: Cross nation snowboarding – ladies’s staff dash free
- 10:00-11:20: Cross nation snowboarding – males’s staff dash free
- 11:00-13:50: Velocity skating – ladies/males staff pursuit finals
- 11:40-14:00: Bobsleigh – ladies’s two-person ultimate runs
- 00:05-03:00: GB ladies’s curlers tackle Canada.
- 00:30-03:45: Snowboarders Billy Morgan and Jamie Nicholls return for the qualification spherical of their second occasion – Large Air.
- 05:05-08:00: GB males’s curling staff face USA.
- 10:00-11:20: Two British athletes – out of Andrew Musgrave, Andrew Younger and Callum Smith – return for the lads’s staff dash.
- 11:40-14:00: Mica McNeill and Mica Moore go within the ladies’s bobsleigh ultimate runs.
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
02:00-03:50: Will it’s an excellent Olympic return – and doubtlessly finale – for the USA’s legendary skier Lindsay Vonn, or extra heartache for the 2010 champion?
The 33-year-old, who made her debut at Salt Lake Metropolis 2002, has endured a torrid time with accidents because the Vancouver Video games eight years in the past and missed Sochi 2014 with knee ligament harm.
Her return has been removed from easy with quite a few different accidents interrupting her bid to beat the present file of World Cup wins – 86 – held by Ingemar Stenmark of Sweden.
Her haul of 79 is astounding given the time she has missed throughout her profession, and successes this season recommend she is a significant contender to recapture the downhill title in Pyeongchang.
Don’t rule out an outdoor bid from Vonn’s fellow American Mikaela Shiffrin. Though she is best recognized for the slalom and large slalom occasions, Shiffrin has completed on the downhill podium 3 times this season and claimed one victory.
Do you know?
Lindsay Vonn has made a number of bids to race in opposition to males in World Cup occasions and though she has been denied beforehand, the Worldwide Ski Federation (FIS) are set to assessment their stance in Could.
00:30-03:45: In 2015 GB’s Billy Morgan grew to become the primary athlete in historical past to land the hallowed ‘bottom 1800 quadruple cork’, the toughest trick carried out up to now.
With an arsenal of methods, the GB snowboarder has clear medal-winning potential however in a subjective sport – with judges scoring routines – outcomes can shock.
Canada’s Mark McMorris will even return for his second occasion after slopestyle, however countryman Max Parrot, who has received the final three large air X Video games titles, will start as favorite.
00:05-03:00 & 05:05-08:00: The British ladies full their group video games with the hardest of opponents, defending Olympic champions Canada, in a match which is prone to have a huge effect on who tops the standings heading into the semi-finals.
The GB males additionally full their group part fixtures in opposition to the USA, who haven’t received an Olympic curling medal since bronze in 2006.
11:40-14:00: Cool Runnings 2? Might the sequel be higher than the unique?
Jamaica’s ladies will hope for a greater ending than their male counterparts endured on the 1988 Video games, the place they crashed earlier than the end.
Pilot Jazmine Fenlator was a brakewoman for the USA on the final Video games however switched to her father’s nationality after being provided the prospect to coach as a driver with the Jamaicans.
A seventh-place end on the Innsbruck-Igls World Cup in January suggests a top-10 end is a practical goal
On the high finish anticipate the standard battle between defending champions Canada (Kaillie Humphries), the USA (Elana Meyers) and Germany (Mariama Jamanka) and their fellow nationwide pilots.
07:40-10:00: The primary Olympic ice hockey medals will likely be up for grabs, with the shedding ladies’s semi-finalists battling for bronze.
Thursday, 22 February – day 13
Medal occasions: Eight
- 01:15-03:10 & 04:45-06:40: Alpine snowboarding – males’s slalom
- 11:15-12:45: Biathlon – ladies’s 4x6km relay
- 02:30-04:00: Freestyle snowboarding – males’s ski halfpipe finals
- 04:10-07:00: Ice hockey – ladies’s gold medal ultimate
- Nordic mixed – males’s staff massive hill (07:30-08:10) and staff 4x5km (10:20-11:20)
- 11:18-11:23: Brief-track velocity skating – males’s 500m ultimate
- 11:30-11:47: Brief-track velocity skating – ladies’s 1,000m ultimate
- 12:03-12:16: Brief-track velocity skating – males’s 5,000m relay ultimate
- 01:15-03:10 & 04:45-06:40: Skier Dave Ryding bids for a historic British alpine medal and is joined by Laurie Taylor in males’s slalom.
- 10:00-12:45: Elise Christie is again on the ice for a 3rd and ultimate occasion and can once more be joined by Charlotte Gilmartin and Kathryn Thomson within the 1,000m.
- 11:05-14:00: The British males’s curling staff might be concerned in semi-final motion.
- 02:30-04:00: GB skiers Murray Buchan, Peter Speight and Alexander Glavatsky-Yeadon hope to return for the halfpipe finals.
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
01:15-03:10 & 04:45-06:40: Again in 2002, Alain Baxter thought he had claimed Britain’s first Winter Olympic medal on the snow by profitable slalom bronze on the Salt Lake Metropolis Video games.
Based on Britain’s present finest slalom skier – Dave ‘The Rocket’ Ryding – it might have remodeled the game, however Baxter was stripped of the medal, and no GB skier has come difficult for the Olympic podium – till now.
In January final 12 months, Ryding secured Britain’s finest alpine outcome for 35 years with World Cup silver in Austria, crushed solely by house favorite and world champion Marcel Hirscher.
Ryding, who learnt his commerce on a dry slope in Pendle, Lancashire, has threatened additional honours, and the world’s different main slalom skiers – comparable to Manuel Feller and Henrik Kristoffersen – know he’s a severe contender.
Brief-track velocity skating:
10:00-12:45: Elise Christie is again – to doubtlessly safe a 3rd medal on the ultimate day of the short-track speed-skating programme.
As with Christie’s different occasions, South Korea’s Choi Min-jeong and Shim Suk-hee are prone to be amongst her main rivals, however Briton Charlotte Gilmartin – the European three,000m champion in 2016 – might but produce a shock.
Keep in mind Australian Steven Bradbury on the 2002 Winter Olympics? Utterly out of competition till the ultimate lap, a crash worn out all of his rivals and he breezed by way of to one of the vital surprising gold medals of all time.
In brief-track velocity skating, virtually something can and can occur.
04:10-07:00: Will the ladies’s ultimate be something aside from a repeat of the previous two Video games and see the all-conquering Canadians face the USA?
Few anticipate every other state of affairs, but when by some means certainly one of them doesn’t progress it is unlikely to be Canada, who’ve received the previous 4 Olympic titles.
02:30-04:00: British skier Murray Buchan will likely be trying to construct on his 17th-place end on the final Video games, whereas team-mates Peter Speight and Alexander Glavatsky-Yeadon are making their Olympic debuts in Pyeongchang.
Reigning champion David Smart of the USA – now a father of two – has struggled with again and shoulder issues in addition to concussions prior to now two years, however X Video games gold on the eve of the Olympics proves he’s once more a medal prospect.
The household of his fellow American Torin Yater-Wallace had been advised to “put together for the worst” after he contracted a uncommon an infection and went right into a coma in 2015, however he, Frenchman Kevin Rolland and Canadian Mike Riddle are ones to look at within the ultimate.
Friday, 23 February – day 14
Medal occasions: Seven (six gold)
- 00:30-02:15: Snowboarding – ladies’s large air finals
- 01:00-05:15: Determine skating – ladies’s single brief programme
- 02:00-03:25 & 05:30-06:45: Alpine snowboarding – ladies’s alpine mixed
- 04:15-05:55: Freestyle snowboarding – ladies’s ski cross finals
- 06:35-09:30: Curling – males’s bronze medal ultimate
- 10:00-11:35: Velocity skating – males’s 1,000m ultimate
- 11:15-12:45: Biathlon – males’s 4×7.5km relay
- 00:30-02:15: British freestyle snowboarder Aimee Fuller hopes to return for her second ultimate of the Video games, this time within the large air.
- 06:35-09:30: The British males’s curling staff might be in competition for a second successive Olympic podium end within the bronze-medal match.
- The British ladies’s staff are anticipated to be competing for a spot of their curling ultimate when the occasion reaches the last-four stage.
- 04:15-05:55: GB ski-cross athlete Emily Sarsfield – on the third try – has her likelihood to compete at an Olympic Video games.
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
04:15-05:55: After harm dominated her out of Vancouver 2010 and he or she was considerably controversially neglected for Sochi 2014, Emily Sarsfield lastly makes her Olympic debut on the age of 34.
In a fantastically unpredictable sport, Sarsfield might pull off a shock, however among the many fundamental predicted medal prospects are Sweden’s Sandra Naeslund and Canadian Sochi 2014 silver medallist Kelsey Serwa.
10:00-11:35: Might a throwback success be on the playing cards within the males’s 1,000m?
American Shani Davies received the occasion on the 2006 and 2010 Olympics, however was eighth in 2014. Nonetheless, very like the short-track model, surprises and upsets are a part of what makes the game so thrilling.
As ever, the Dutch are the main nation within the occasion – notably with Russia’s main athletes lacking out – and a number of world champion Kjeld Nuis and compatriot Koen Verweij are robust favourites.
07:40-10:00 & 12:10-14:30: The lads’s competitors reaches the last-four stage.
On paper at the very least – for what that is value – Canada, ‘Olympic athletes from Russia’, Sweden and Finland are the highest 4.
Nonetheless, the USA will likely be eager to safe themselves a spot within the ultimate, having completed fourth at Sochi 2014.
01:00-05:15: Retirement and harm have robbed the game of the gold and silver medallists from the final Olympics, however third-placed Carolina Kostner of Italy is again.
She is trying to change into – at 31 – the game’s oldest Olympic medallist since 1924, however is a considerably controversial determine, having spent two years out of the game after mendacity about her boyfriend’s whereabouts when drug testers got here calling.
The game’s latest sensation is 15-year-old Russian Alina Zagitova – she and team-mates Maria Sotskova and Evgenia Medvedeva are all potential contenders.
06:35-09:30: 4 years in the past, the lads’s bronze-medal match was between Sweden and China. The Swedes received, however they’re eager for an improve and head into the Video games ranked second on this planet.
Norway and the USA are third and fourth within the rankings respectively, however with Britain’s silver medallists from Sochi returning to kind, the record of medal contenders is intensive.
Saturday, 24 February – day 15
Gold medal occasions: 10 (eight gold)
- 01:00-02:45: Snowboarding – males’s large air finals
- 02:00-03:55: Alpine snowboarding – alpine staff occasion
- 03:00-04:30: Snowboarding – ladies’s/males’s parallel large slalom finals
- 05:00-08:05: Cross nation snowboarding – males’s 50km mass begin traditional
- 06:35-09:55: Curling – males’s gold-medal ultimate
- 11:05-14:00: Curling – ladies’s bronze-medal ultimate
- 12:10-15:00: Ice hockey – males’s bronze-medal ultimate
- 12:30: Velocity skating – ladies’s mass begin
- 13:00: Velocity skating – males’s mass begin
- 01:00-02:45: Billy Morgan and Jamie Nicholls – Large Air finals.
- 00:30-03:00: GB four-man bobsleigh staff start their Olympic marketing campaign.
- 06:35-09:55: The British male curlers might return for his or her second successive Olympic ultimate.
- 11:05-14:00: The British feminine curlers might be in competition for Olympic bronze.
- 02:00-03:55: Alpine staff occasion that includes Dave Ryding, Charlie Visitor, Alex Tilley and Laurie Taylor.
- 05:00-08:05: Andrew Musgrave in 50km traditional.
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
00:30-03:00: 4 years in the past the British males’s four-man staff started their podium cost as rank outsiders however climbed into competition by way of spectacular runs on the opening day.
Once more they may begin a long way behind the main candidates from Germany and Canada – whose early begins ought to give them a bonus on recent ice – however the climate can have a huge effect on this sport.
Having now all however been confirmed a retrospective bronze medal from Sochi 2014 – after the bans of 5 Russian bobsleighers had been upheld – the GB males will likely be hoping they will be celebrating on the ice this time, quite than years after the occasion.
Do you know?
Sochi Olympic bobsleigher Bruce Tasker was in line to compete for Crew GB in Pyeongchang earlier than struggling a stroke in early January. He’s, although, heading in the right direction to make a full restoration and return to the game subsequent season.
01:00-02:45: Can Britain’s Billy Morgan land his high trick and safe a medal within the sport’s Olympic debut?
He’ll must be at his easiest, however the quad cork-king is a robust medal contender, as is Canada’s a number of X Video games champion Max Parrot, world champion Sebastien Smits of Belgium and younger Norwegian expertise Stale Sandbech.
06:35-09:55 and 11:05-14:00: There may be the potential for British groups to be difficult for 2 medals on the penultimate day of curling in Pyeongchang, however the GB ladies will likely be hoping their second comes 24 hours later within the gold-medal match.
The GB males had been properly crushed by an unstoppable Canadian staff on the final Olympics, and given their detached kind over the previous 4 years – albeit with very totally different line-ups – a silver would in the end be a extremely commendable outcome.
03:00-04:30: Solely probably the most particular of athletes are in a position to obtain success in a number of Olympic disciplines. Come day 15, Ester Ledecka of the Czech Republic will add herself to that illustrious record by changing into the primary athlete in historical past to compete in each snowboarding and snowboarding on the Winter Olympics.
Having earlier raced a number of of the alpine snowboarding races, she is going to change into a number one medal contender within the ladies’s parallel slalom.
If historic achievements are your bag then hold a watch out for Canadian Jasey-Jay Anderson.
He is 42, received gold at Vancouver 2010, lately grew to become the oldest snowboard World Cup winner and in Pyeongchang will change into the one rider to have competed in each Olympics since snowboarding was added to the programme in 1998.
Ex-American boarder Vic Wild, now know by his Russian title Victor Ivan, will likely be trying to retain the Olympic title he received for his adopted nation at Sochi 2014 – as a part of the ‘Olympic athletes from Russia’ line-up.
Do you know?
Ester Ledecka’s maternal grandfather, Jan Klapac, received Olympic ice hockey medals on the 1964 and 1968 Video games, whereas her father – Janek Ledecky – is a nationally well-known musician, finest recognized for Christmas songs.
02:00-03:55: Some really feel the addition of freestyle occasions at latest Olympics has made conventional Alpine occasions really feel somewhat dated – however the all-new combined alpine snowboarding staff occasion goals to inject new life into the game.
Sixteen nations – together with a British staff that includes Dave Ryding – will compete in a head-to-head, best-of-four knockout contest with every staff that includes two ladies and two males.
The French, Slovakians and Swiss are among the many favourites for the medals.
Cross nation snowboarding:
05:00-08:05: Britain’s Andrew Musgrave competes for the ultimate time on the Video games within the males’s most gruelling cross nation occasion – battled out over 50km.
He was fourth on the 2017 World Championship – however that was within the freestyle occasion, whereas in Pyeongchang the gap will likely be held within the traditional method – not Musgrave’s energy.
The occasion noticed a clear sweep for Russia at Sochi 2014, however the gold and silver medallists have subsequently been stripped of their honours.
Canada’s Alex Harvey and Norway’s Petter Northug are among the many main skiers who will likely be trying to fight the circumstances and declare the highest honours.
Do you know?
Andrew Musgrave’s two sisters had been born in Norway and Egypt; he and his brother had been born in Dorset. The household moved to the Shetlands when he was one, earlier than heading to Alaska when he was 5.
Sunday, 25 February – day 16
Medal occasions: 4
- 00:05-03:25: Curling – ladies’s ultimate
- 00:30-03:30: Bobsleigh – four-man ultimate heats
- 04:10-07:00: Ice hockey – males’s ultimate
- 06:15-08:15: Cross nation snowboarding – ladies’s 30km mass-start traditional
11:00-13:00: Closing ceremony
- 00:30-03:30: Can the British four-man bobsleigh staff obtain a primary Olympic medal on the Video games since Nagano 1998 in Japan?
- 00:05-03:25: Will Britain’s ladies’s curling staff be in competition to higher their bronze from Sochi 2014 and repeat the gold medal-winning achievements of Rhona Martin’s legendary staff from Salt Lake Metropolis in 2002?
KEY ACTION TO WATCH:
Whereas the vast majority of athletes will likely be in celebration mode having accomplished their programmes, day 16 is the ultimate alternative for these nonetheless competing to assert locations on the Olympic podium – earlier than one other four-year-wait.
00:30-03:30: The four-man competitors is likely one of the most extremely anticipated occasions of the Video games, and it historically creates numerous last-minute drama on the ultimate day of competitors.
4 years in the past, the British ‘meat wagon’ staff completed an agonising zero.11 seconds off the rostrum positions, and though they’re in line to obtain a retrospective bronze medal – following the disqualification of two Russian sleds – they’re determined to be celebrating on the day this time round.
In Brad Corridor and Lamin Deen they’ve pilots who’ve guided their crews to World Cup successes this season, making a uncommon scenario whereby there aren’t any apparent ‘GBR 1’ and ‘GBR 2’ line-ups.
Realistically, the Germans look overwhelming favourites with their pilots locking out the highest three positions within the World Cup standings.
Nonetheless, the Canadian, Latvian and British groups will all imagine they will produce one thing particular throughout 4 runs.
00:05-03:25: The ladies’s curling competitors will attain its climax.
4 years in the past, the gold-medal match was fought out between Canada and Sweden, with the Canadians – who beat GB within the semi-finals – taking the honours.
They’ll undoubtedly start as main favourites to go all the way in which once more, having been on each Olympic podium because the sport was reintroduced to the programme for the 1998 Video games.
Nonetheless, Britain’s spectacular defeat of the Swedish on this season’s European Championship ultimate proves their potential.
Switzerland, world silver medallists Russia – competing as ‘Olympic athletes from Russia’- and even the hosts might all be contenders.
04:10-07:00: There will likely be no NHL gamers, however hopefully no lack of drama within the males’s ultimate.
This is likely one of the Video games’ marquee occasions, and regardless of the absence of among the world’s main gamers, the Worldwide Olympic Committee and Pyeongchang 2018 organisers will likely be eager to make sure it stays a must-see spectacle.
The USA and Canada will unsurprisingly be the toughest hit, though each will be capable of draw on expertise taking part in elsewhere on this planet.
Nonetheless, considerably sarcastically – given the sanctions positioned on Russia’s staff heading into the Video games – it’s they who’re prone to profit the best from the NHL ban, as Russia has the following strongest home league.
Sweden head into the Video games ranked third on this planet – behind Canada and Russia, however forward of fourth-placed Finland and the USA in fifth.
Cross nation snowboarding:
06:15-08:15: The ultimate occasion of Pyeongchang 2018 will see the ladies battle it out over 30km within the mass begin traditional.
It’s the final likelihood to see who really is the queen of cross nation snowboarding following a gruelling marketing campaign which can see some opponents compete in as much as six occasions.
Norway’s trio of 2017 World Championships medallists – Marit Bjorgen, Heidi Weng and Astrid Jacobsen – will all be in competition.
11:00-13:00: The Video games will formally finish with the closing ceremony on the Pyeongchang Olympic stadium.